Social media is a platform many businesses are already using to reach their target audiences. Your team might be too busy to constantly publish posts on your business’ social profiles to reach your audience at the appropriate time. This is when creating a social media calendar becomes handy. This calendar allows your social media team to create drafts for their posts which include text, images or videos. It also identifies a schedule at a time when your target audience uses social media the most. They will then plot the schedule of the posts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, or other platforms you use.  


Here are tips on creating a social media calendar.


Review Your Content and Social Networks

Before you create a calendar, audit your content and social networks. Find out if your brand has impostor accounts, determine the metrics you want to measure for every campaign, identify employees that will lead campaigns and be accountable for them, identify types of content that were successful, determine what should be in your social media campaign, and others. This approach enables you to create a calendar you can follow and plan your campaign effectively.


Identify Your Content Mix and Channels

Your target audience needs variety when it comes to the types of content you publish. This keeps them engaged and interested in your brand. Consider implementing the social media rule of thirds. This strategy means that one-third of the things you post are for business promotions, another third is sharing curated content from industry experts, and another third for posts interacting and engaging with your audience. The 80-20 rule is a social media strategy you can also consider implementing. This approach means that 80% of your content educates, entertains, or informs your audience, while the remaining 20% is for converting visitors and promoting your business. Review both rules and determine its viability and effectiveness for your content marketing strategy.


Determine What Should be in Your Calendar

Identify the details you want to include in your social media calendar. Layout publication dates, specific time (include time zone if some of your visitors live elsewhere), the platform where you will publish content, copy of the post, links to specific website pages, and visual content (videos, memes, images, and others). You might also want to add information such as location, the type of platform you’ll publish in, paid or organic campaign, and the type of campaign (contest, launching of a new product, etc.). These details enable you to monitor your social media campaign and are a factor in determining the effectiveness of campaigns.


Get Feedback from Your Team

Have your team review the social media calendar you made. Ask for comments, possible improvements, and any kind of reaction. This allows you to get everyone on the team on the same page and improve the success rate of your campaign. Maintain flexibility as the dates go by in your calendar. Make changes depending on the response of your audience.


Your social calendar is an integral part of your content marketing strategy. Implement these tips to create a calendar effectively. Focus on your social media campaigns and let us do your bookkeeping for you. We at Robookkeeper have a team of experienced virtual bookkeepers that can update your accounting books on time. We offer first-rate virtual bookkeeping services for entrepreneurs.